- Fostering public understanding, enjoyment, and conservation of the natural and cultural resources of the Hakalau Forest National Wildlife Refuge and its surrounding ecosystems;
- Providing volunteer assistance on important Refuge projects;
- Working with elected officials in support of the Refuge mission, and
- Raising funds to help support the purposes and goals of the Refuge.
For more information on the Refuge, see:
- The offical page of the Hakalau Forest National Wildlife Refuge
- A location map of Hakalau Forest
- Topographic basemap of Hakalau section of the Hakalau Forest NWR
The year 2015 marked the 30th anniversary of the Hakalau Forest National Wildlife Refuge. In honor of the anniversary, the Friends of Hakalau Forest have established an endowment to support critical management projects on the Refuge. To celebrate the anniversary and raise funds for the endowment, the Friends have planned a fundraising event on April 15, 2016 6:00 to 9:30 pm to be held at the University of Hawaii at Hilo Dining Hall at 200 West Kawili Street, Hilo. The event is free but you must be a member to attend. Join now or bring a checkbook and membership application to the event! There will be food and short talks on the history of the refuge, forest restoration, and success in maintaining populations of the native birds. There will also be a live auction of art celebrating native Hawaiian wildlife. Please contact us to let us know if you are coming by April 4th.
The Spring Open House at the Refuge (April 16) has been CANCELLED
Because of ongoing and worsening concerns about Rapid Ohia Death, the Refuge announced today that the Open House scheduled for April 16th will be cancelled. While there are no confirmed cases of Rapid Ohia Death on the Refuge, the staff are currently re-evaluating all activities on the Refuge to minimize the danger that the disease will be introduced.
For more on Rapid ʻŌhiʻa Death see www.rapidohiadeath.org
Lines of young koa trees extend the forests into the upper pastures. Photo by J. B. Friday. Title bar photos by Jack Jeffrey.